Virtual Open House
Saturday, November 13
Join us for an overview of the program and an alumni panel.
Accepting applications for Fall 2022
Priority Deadline: January 15, 2022
Admission is competitive and space is limited. Applications will be accepted until the final deadline or until space is filled. Please contact admissions at 847-467-5267 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions about deadlines.
The MA in Sound Arts and Industries application consists of the following items:
- Completed online application, including a statement of purpose, resume, and $40 application fee.
- The names and addresses of three (3) persons who will submit recommendations for you. Recommenders should be familiar with your professional or academic work and should be able to comment meaningfully on your potential for success in a graduate course of study.
- Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. An unofficial copy of each transcript should be included with the online application. Once admitted, official transcripts must be submitted before the first day of classes. Before starting the Sound Arts program, admitted students must hold a four-year U.S. bachelor’s degree — or a comparable non-U.S. degree — from a regionally accredited institution. Students may be considered for admission before they finish their undergraduate degree, but the student must complete that degree before they enroll at Northwestern.
- Official transcripts must be sent in envelopes sealed by the issuing colleges or universities. PDF files originating from the issuing college or university are acceptable when sent directly to the Admissions Office at email@example.com. Transcripts not received in this manner are not considered official and will not be accepted.
- Applicants who earned or will earn their bachelor’s degree outside of the U.S. must submit all transcripts to Educational Credential Evaluators (www.ece.org) or World Education Services (www.wes.org) for a course-by-course verification. Applications will not be reviewed without the degree verification. Note that many departments at Northwestern University use these services, so please be sure to select the MA in Sound Arts and Industries program as the recipient of your evaluation. Foreign transcripts sent directly to our office will not be accepted.
- TOEFL score for international applicants
- A minimum overall score of 100 is required with a minimum score of 26 on the “Speaking” section. Students with TOEFL scores below these standards will not be accepted. The test must have been administered no more than two years prior to the application date. The program does not accept the IELTS test.
- The TOEFL may be waived for applicants who earned their bachelor’s or graduate degree from a university where English was the primary language of instruction.
Official transcripts and TOEFL scores may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or sent to the address below:
MA in Sound Arts and Industries
Frances Searle Building
2240 Campus Drive
Evanston, IL 60208-3540
GRE/GMAT scores are NOT required and will not be reviewed by the admissions committee.
Questions and Status Updates
Contact admissions at 847-467-5267 or email@example.com with questions regarding the application process or for an update on the status of your application.
If you are accepted, please submit a non-refundable $500 tuition deposit by the deadline listed in your acceptance letter. Your place in the incoming class is not secure until both items have been received. Students risk losing their space in the upcoming class if they do not confirm their intent to register in a timely manner. If you are unable to return your Intent to Register form and deposit promptly, contact Sound Arts and Industries at 847-467-5267 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Accepted Student Checklist:
- Submit a non-refundable $500 tuition deposit.
- Activate your Northwestern email account upon receipt of Net ID activation code.
- Complete the Entrance Health Requirements for Non-Healthcare students as mandated by the state of Illinois.
- If eligible and interested, apply for Federal Loans. Visit Northwestern University’s Student Financial Services Office. Please note that the Sound Arts and Industries program is under the School of Communication and is not connected with The Graduate School.
- If you were in the process of completing your degree when you applied, have your degree-awarding institution issue an official copy of your final transcript to the MA in Sound Arts and Industries program.
- International students should begin the student visa process after submitting the Intent to Register form and non-refundable tuition deposit.
Students are eligible to enroll in the student NU/Aetna health insurance plan on a voluntary basis. To enroll, students must complete the application and submit payment during the first quarter of enrollment. Students who do not elect coverage in the first quarter of enrollment will not be able to enroll in health insurance thereafter.